Article 77 of GDPR: Right To Lodge A Complaint With A Supervisory Authority
Article 77 of GDPR establishes the right of data subjects to file a complaint related to data protection and privacy with the supervisory authority.
Right to file a complaint (Article 77(1) GDPR)
GDPR grants the right to every data subject to file a complaint with a supervisory authority for any matters pertaining to GDPR and its possible infringement.
Data subjects can file their complaint with:
- The supervisory authority of their habitual residence
- The supervisory authority of their place of work
- The supervisory authority of the place where the GDPR infringement occurred
Supervisory authority duty of information (Article 77(2) GDPR)
When a complaint is filed with a supervisory authority by a data subject, the supervisory authority has the following duties towards the data subject:
- Keep the data subject informed of the progress of the complaint
- Provide the data subject with the outcome of the complaint
- Provide details as to possible judicial or legal remedies against the decision of the supervisory authority
Recitals applicable to Article 77 of GDPR
Relevant Recitals: 141
GDPR Regulation article-by-article overview
Read our comprehensive overview of the GDPR Regulation, article by article, where we summarize each of the 99 articles contained in GDPR to give you a complete understanding of its content.
Cited Legislation in Article 77 or relevant recitals
GDPR Text: Article 77 of GDPR and Relevant Recitals
GDPR Text Source: EUR-Lex
Official GDPR Text: General Data Protection Regulation
Official GDPR Title: REGULATION (EU) 2016/679 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation), corrected by Corrigendum, OJL 127, 23.5.2018, p. 2 ((EU) 2016/679)